Saturday, January 21, 2012

Cover "wins" from 1/21/12

Blah. It's raining outside and I'm sick with a virus that has been kicking my ass for a week now, so I've decided that I just don't have the energy to talk about anything negative concerning covers this week. So let's just focus on the positive, shall we? 
 First off, this Chiang cover is so much fun to look at. Everything about it screams AWESOME! Highly readable, well drawn, and nicely rendered. It's just a fun illustration on all levels.
 Beyond the sweet Art Adams drawing, it's the coloring that really makes this pop. I've always loved the yellow/green combo. Fantastic.
 Speaking of yellow and green, Acuna is one of my favorite artists currently working. If artistic skill were measured in strength, he'd be the Hulk.
 Wow.
 I ran rough-shod over a Kaare cover last week, but this one I like a lot. Great job on the effects.
 I always dig seeing an artist get away with realistic folds on costumes. Sometimes the people in charge, put their foot down on this kind of stuff. Glad it didn't happen here.
 Just a well-painted illustration. I'm not sure how it relates to the book, but I don't care; I just like the final product.
Strong composition wins the day here.

2 comments:

  1. I like that editors give Bermejo leeway to interpret superhero costumes as he sees fit. He has a really good take on Batman's uniform as well.

    The Wonder Woman covers continue to impress as well. I think the off center trade dress fits the style of those covers perfectly. It's a solid package all around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw the Wonder Woman cover earlier this week and I have to say I'm far from impressed. I agree with all the other cover choices, and the WW cover IS nicely and clearly drawn, but it's just.... sort of boring, or more specifically; Wonder Woman looks bored. She doesn't have much of an expression, she's got a symmetrical, "planted" pose and there's no sense that she's being affected in any way by the pull of the tentacles. The framing and viewpoint are also just sort of expository. If this were lit differently it would almost have a lamenting quality to it. Right now though I just don't really get a sense of how I'm supposed to feel looking at it.

    ReplyDelete