Monday, November 21, 2011

Some cover "Wins" from the week of 11/20/11

First off, this is a fun cover from Cory Walker. There's a lot going one but it's got great depth and priorities. The main characters stand out against the background, allowing you to discover the detail in the background as a secondary note. The way it should be. The atmospheric perspective helps out by lightening the BG as the elements gets farther away. It's the way to do it people, take note.
Massimo Carnevale is so good it makes my teeth hurt. It's a simple design, main character standing front and center. But if drawn/painted well, like this one, it can be quite fantastic. Win!
Another example of this. Why do I like it? The color. Green against red is a personal favorite. Maybe because I was always told NOT to do that in art school. What do they know? Most teach because they can't get work as an artist.
I guess I'm on a green and red roll. This design is simple yet effective. I bet it jumped off the stands next to some of those rainbow covers that seem to overwhelm the racks. And it's well drawn. Mr Chiang knows his shit.
And finally, this one. I'm a sucker for comic book cover design that feels like a regular book design. Great job.

9 comments:

  1. Love the idea and will be following you from now on. (I went there thanks to the Beat). Would love to know what you tought of the DC Focus covers design.

    ReplyDelete
  2. fantastic blog! thanks for your advices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It being Thanksgiving today, the Invincible is my favorite because the figures remind me of the big balloons from the Macy's Parade.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would you be a doll and post a list of some of your all-time favorite comic book covers by both yourself and others? You could call it an early X-mas present and cross me off your shopping list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What do you think about the fact that, when printed, that Invincible cover has a red logo instead of a yellow one, which blends in with Oliver's right hand? I thought that was a poor choice, though obviously not a fault of Cory's.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know that. But you're right, not Cory's fault.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Man, I don't even know what to say. I feel a lot better about that cover now and I won't feel so down when the cover for Invincible 86 inevitably ends up as a Johnson cover fail.

    Also, dunno why that logo got changed to red. Weird choice, that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Going back to your points above about Red and Green looking awesome together (which, of course, they do). Any art teacher who told you not to combine them was obviously a complete moron. On a colour wheel, these two are opposites which makes them "complimentary colours". I think I learnt that at school when I was, like, 6 or something!

    ReplyDelete